@diybydeebs turned this ordinary chest into a showstopper using simple materials and a bit of creativity. The final color, Turtledove by @melangepaints, adds a touch of elegance to this beautiful IKEA Hemnes 2-drawer chest upcycle.
View this post on Instagram
For this DIY project, you’ll need:
- IKEA Hemnes 2-drawer chest
- Wooden paint stirrer sticks
- Miter shears
- Detail sander
- Wood glue
- Wood filler
- Top coat sealer
- Paint (Turtledove by @melangepaints, in this instance)
Steps to Follow
- Cut the Wooden Sticks: Using miter shears cut the wooden paint stirrer sticks at a 45-degree angle. These will create the herringbone pattern.
- Perfect the Angles: Use a detail sander to refine the angle cuts on your wooden sticks. This will ensure a snug fit for your herringbone pattern.
- Glue the Herringbone Pattern: Arrange the cut sticks in a herringbone pattern on the drawer fronts and use wood glue to secure them in place.
- Fill Gaps: Once the glue has dried, use wood filler to fill any gaps or imperfections in the herringbone pattern.
- Sand the Surface: After the wood filler has dried, sand the entire surface to ensure it is smooth and ready for painting.
- Apply Top Coat Sealer: Apply a top coat sealer to protect the wood and provide a base for the paint.
- Paint the Chest: Paint the chest in your chosen color. Here, @diybydeebs used Turtledove by @melangepaints.
This IKEA Hemnes 2-drawer chest makeover is a beautiful example of how you can elevate a simple piece of furniture into something unique. The herringbone pattern adds texture and interest, while the Turtledove color adds a sophisticated touch. Thanks to @diybydeebs for this inspiring #ikeahack. Elevate your IKEA Hemnes 2-Drawer Chest with a captivating herringbone pattern overlay. Add a touch of style and individuality to your furniture for a truly remarkable upcycle.